South Florida has been receiving a lot of new people lately, and we couldn’t be happier about it! We do know that moving is chaotic and we want to give you a hand, which is why we want to give you some useful tips and tricks to take into account when you’re moving to a new home (or even a new city!).
1. Move the heaviest items into the truck first
This is especially helpful because your bigger items won’t move as much! It also means that you can roughly calculate how much space your stuff will take, realistically.
2. Pack items from the same room together
It’s a good way to compartmentalize and keep track of different boxes. Color coding with different duct tapes is a good way to do this! It’s even better if you can number all the boxes that belong in each room and write down the total, so you can easily keep track of all your belongings and how long it will take you to unpack each room!
3. Also, when you arrive at your new home, unpack BY ROOM. The unpacking process will feel more manageable.
Trying to unpack everything at the same time will turn the process neverending! You can take it one step at a time to feel like you’re checking items from a list.
4. If you’re taking larger items with you like the fridge or the washing machine, you can place smaller items inside.
5. Place smaller things into ziploc bags
This might not seem like a very useful tip, but you can’t imagine how many small things you own until you have to move! Ziploc bags are safe and easy ways to catalogue and pack your stray stationery or jewelry.
6. Arrange for a charity organization to come pick up the items you don't want at least a week or two before moving.
When you’re moving, there are going to be things that you won’t have use for anymore, that won’t fit in your new home or even the moving truck! Donating seems easy, but when you’re donating a large amount of things you might not have the time or energy to take them yourself. The good thing is that many organizations can pick things up for you! Don’t leave this for the last minute, though. You can arrange for them to come before you move, so you don’t have to worry about those items anymore!
7. Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials
When you’re tired after a whole day of moving into your new home the last thing you want is to start rummaging through different boxes to find your pajamas and your toothbrush!
8. Pack all the things you will need first in a clear plastic container
In the same vein, you need to eat and make the bed when you get there! Instead of choosing a designated box for this, it is more accessible (and easier to spot!) if you put all the essential objects in a plastic container.
9. Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing to save on bubble wrap.
10. Pack plates vertically, like records. They'll be less likely to break.
11. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
We hope you can move into your new place as smoothly as possible! House renovations are messy and hard, but if you ever need to get your ceilings done quickly and easily, don’t hesitate to give us a call at or fill in our free consultation form. Happy moving!